"The Women's Hospital Association" was founded when a group of women from the Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church, with the philosophy that "charity should begin at home", surveyed the community and determined its greatest need was hospitalization. The Women's Hospital Association visited the County Court and obtained permission to establish a charity hospital in the unused portion of the County Home.
Mrs. R. H. Edmondson was temporary chair when the Women's Hospital Association was organized on December 2, 1921, and Mrs. S. Fuller Glasscock became the first President. This association purchased most of the original equipment for the County Hospital, which opened on October 20, 1922, with fifty beds.
The Association was active until 1933, but from 1933 to 1938 the women met only once a year to keep their charter.
The County Court operated the hospital until 1943, during which time the women were not active; however, on April 12, 1943, the Court appointed trustees to operate the hospital, and they soon realized the need of the women's help.
Mrs. Friend E. Clark was authorized to form another auxiliary, and on September 30, 1943, she called a meeting to organize the Women's Auxiliary of the Monongalia General Hospital.
On December 6, 1943, with Mrs. B. B. Laidley as President, the Auxiliary was reactivated with 104 charter members. The membership at the present time numbers over 500 and the Auxiliary has contributed in excess of TWO MILLION dollars to the hospital.
The Auxiliary consists of individuals who contribute many hours of service to raise money for the purchase of equipment and furnishings for the hospital. The Auxiliary's fund raising efforts include the "Ball of the Year", Restaurant Club Coupon Book, Baby Picture, Gift Shop, vending and special sales such as books, and gold jewelry.
In 1992 the Auxiliary pledged $1 million to the capital campaign of Mon General Hospital to be paid over a five-year period. That commitment was fulfilled in September 1998. The Auxiliary was called upon again to pledge, and again the Auxiliary welcomed the challenge with pride and enthusiasm. The Auxiliary pledged $1 million in the fall of 2005 to the capital campaign of Mon General Hospital to be paid over a five-year period. This pledge was paid on December 10, 2010. The Auxiliary pledged $750,000 spring 2012 to the "Campaign Continues" to be paid over a seven year period.
As we begin a new century, leading the way will be the Auxiliary and many volunteers who continue to give of themselves daily to help others.